Sunday, June 24, 2012
Blog #2 Project
At first, I was going to be really nice and complete a Physics Webquest for my counterparts that I have 'left'. However, in the spirit of the whole reason why I am leaving my classroom, I will focus on what my son needs. This is the most important teaching assignment of my life!
A common struggle for those who have Autism is fine motor skills. My dear sweet Jack finds this to be true and gets really, really frustrated when his letters aren't perfect. He also struggles with perfection which is a bad combination when learning how to write.
I was (still feel like I am ) a 6th grade Science teacher. Thus, I have little experience these days with teaching writing skills and/or phonics at the primary levels. The first thing I need is a basic understanding of the expectations and standards a kindergarten student should have. I will also need an understanding of the technology programs out there to foster the learning of these skills. Jack will be in Young 5s next year, but to decrease his frustration with fine motor skills I want him to learn advanced skills. I am hoping without the obstacle of writing his letter, numbers, etc. he will be able to focus on social skills. Socials skills are another struggle for Jack and another common Autistic struggle.
I will apply the research-based best practices of teaching that I use in my classroom, such as activating his prior knowledge..teach by modeling a new concept/skill...check for understanding...formative assess...adjust my instruction...guide his practice of the skills... continuously monitor and formative assess through out this process and adjust my instruction (including conducting different activities to fit his needs). I will make sure to implement technology that fits the standards/skills that he needs to learn and that fits his needs as a learner.
I am excited to help my son! Let the hunting for resources begin!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment